How to Do Perfect and Effective Push-Ups
Doing push-ups is great; doing them right is even better. FizzUp is here to show you the perfect technique. And if you want to get the most out of this exercise and improve your max reps, check out our program Push. Keep injuries at bay by using this impeccable push-up approach!
How to do the perfect push-up
- Starting position: Get into a plank position, with only your toes and palms touching the floor. Keep your arms straight and position your hands shoulder-width apart and your feet slightly apart.
- Step 1: Begin to lower your body and control the movement by gradually bending your elbows until your chest almost touches the floor.
- Step 2: Straighten your arms and lift your body while keeping it completely straight. Once your arms are straight, you’ve completed one repetition. That’s how you do a great push-up! All you need to do now is repeat and finish the set.
Tips for doing the perfect push-up
- Keep a steady pace: If the exercise becomes difficult, you may inadvertently speed up your repetitions. This may cause cramping and irregular breathing. To find the right pace, focus on your breathing: inhale as you go down and exhale as you come up.
- Keep your back straight: Tighten your core during the entire exercise by contracting your glutes and abs. This will prevent you from arching your back, which can lead to back pain.
- Lock your shoulders: They need to be aligned with your spine and not roll downwards. The trick is to bring your shoulder blades together.
Why you should do push-ups
The push-up is an essential strength training exercise for several reasons: it requires no equipment and you can do it anywhere (indoors or out) and it has the incredible potential to transform your endurance AND your physique. By regularly doing this strength training exercise, you’ll reap several benefits:
- Gain strength and muscle endurance: Through repetition, you’ll develop functional strength. Opening a jam jar or carrying heavy loads will get a lot easier.
- Firm up and tone your arms: Push-ups target the arms and the triceps in particular. With push-ups, firm and toned arms are yours!
- Build your pecs: The push-up and its variations allow you to work all of these muscles. Get pecs of steel now!
Now you know how to do the perfect push-up! Discover this exercise in one of FizzUp’s bodyweight strength training programs. If you want to take your max reps to new heights, be sure to check out our programs Beginner Push-Ups and Push!