Why You Shouldn’t Trust Your Scale
Does stepping onto the scale always freak you out? Is it hard for you to resist the urge to check your weight every morning? Learn how to pay less attention to the numbers and think about your weight without any stress. The FizzUp trainer tells you how to put things into perspective and not trust your scale.
The number changes all the time, so don’t trust your scale
If you like keeping an eye on your weight, then you probably tend to weigh yourself on a regular basis, and maybe even too often. Although you might feel impatient or anxious about what you’re about to see on the screen, the scale’s verdict is less important than you think and how you feel. Whether you ate a hearty meal the day before, tend to retain water, have slow digestion or a fast metabolism, are big-boned or experience hormonal changes due to your menstrual cycle, there are 1001 factors that can negatively affect your weight.
If you think gaining 7 oz. during the night from Monday to Tuesday is a tragedy, then pull yourself together and put things into perspective! If you weigh yourself too often and focus on the numbers, then you forget that your body is a living organism and can experience many changes from one day to the next.
You should learn how to differentiate between your goal weight (the one you’d like to reach more than anything), and your healthy body weight (the one that corresponds to your physique and at which you feel your best and at the top of your game). Going on never-ending diet plans, which don’t take your body’s characteristics into account, and depriving yourself in order to reach your goal weight are harmful for your mental and physical wellness. The only way you can avoid the discouraging yo-yo effect is by setting reachable goals for yourself that are right for you.
Unlike the BMI, your healthy body weight takes your body shape and medical history into account (especially for women having had one or more pregnancies) in addition to your age, has an effect on your metabolism. It helps you regain your self-confidence and stop being so hard on yourself just because you’re not a size 2 or can’t gain 20 pounds. You have to work with the speed of your metabolism.
- If you live a sedentary lifestyle and want to lose weight, start working out. Your body will consume more energy, helping you eliminate more calories. FizzUp fitness training can help you get started by giving you a customized workout program that you can do at home, as well as the FizzUp Nutrition Guide so that you can make the right food choices.
- If you’re athletic and have a fast metabolism that keeps you from gaining muscle mass, you first need to fully understand your body. Accept the fact that you don’t have to comply with the perfect body image that you have in your head. Then, do a physical activity that’s right for your needs over time. Your diet can also be pretty helpful if you focus on eating proteins. To help you get organized, we offer the FizzUp Premium Motivation Package. Get useful tips from a FizzUp Expert on how to build muscle.
Staying physically active on a regular basis has an effect on your weight, but again, you shouldn’t trust your scale because the number you see might not be what you were expecting. If you’ve started working out again in addition to eating a balanced diet, your chances of gaining muscle mass are high. Because muscle is twice as dense as fat, you might weigh more on the scale! If you’re not aware of that fact, then you might mistake a significant improvement for failure.
If you don’t trust your scale, you’ll clear your conscience
The scale isn’t the only tool you can use to check your progress.
- Measurements: If numbers bring you some reassurance, then take your measurements. By measuring around your waist, thighs, calves and upper arms, you’ll have a clear vision of how your body is transforming, whether you’re trying to lose weight or gain muscle mass.
- Taking photos in your mirror: Do you feel like you’ve hit a weight loss plateau, but you haven’t overeaten in the last few weeks? Although taking your measurements is a great way to notice the changes in your physique, you can also rely on before and after photos and your mirror to show you how your body is evolving week after week while wearing the same clothing, if possible. Christophe and Marine can show you how it’s done.
- Diet: Managing the nutritional impact of your daily meals is vital, whatever your goal may be. By following the tips and recipes from the FizzUp Nutrition Guide, you have every chance to learn or relearn how to eat a healthy diet and still enjoy it on a daily basis. It explains how to control your protein, fat and carbohydrate intake according to your needs and goal.
- How you feel: Do you really need to check your weight on the scale? No, because how you feel in your own body is a pretty good indicator. If you don’t feel good in your own skin, there’s no point in having your scale rub it in. Take action to change this negative feeling and free yourself from your common beliefs. Your body is a reflection of how you think. So look on the bright side of life and never throw in the towel. You can reach your goals with the help of the FizzUp trainer!
You CAN get back your healthy body weight and stay there for good when you eat a balanced diet and stay physically active on a regular basis! You can now put your scale away because you know that you don’t need it to check your weight anymore. Gain confidence from the changes you can see without trying to reach a weight that’s out of line with what your body is physically capable of reaching.